The Archives Library in Huddersfield has a very good collection of Directories covering the period from the early nineteenth to the early twentieth century. Each one combines the role of a historical record, gazetteer and directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire and gives descriptions of all the Boroughs, Towns, Parishes, Chapelries, Townships, Villages, Hamlets, Manors, Liberties and Wapentakes. The Directories are all of a similar format, starting off by giving a description of the village and its location and then listing both the private and commercial residents. They can be used to track and identify changes in residents and occupations over the years.
These Directories were issued by a number of companies and I have decided, for the sake of completeness, to include most of the information rather than be selective as each of the various Companies supplied slightly differing information.
The Directories were the Post Office Directory for 1857 ; Slaters Directory for 1848 ; Kelly’s Directory for 1901, 1904, 1912,1917,1922,1927 ; Whites Directory 1838 does not have an entry listed for Netherthong but gives some details under Thong in the Agbrigg Upper Division. In its 11th. edition of 1866, Netherthong is still listed under Thong but in the 12th. edition in 1870, Netherthong gets a full entry in its own right and I have included it in detail.
Whites 1838. Directory . This is the earliest Directory in the archives with reference to Netherthong.
“ Netherthong has in its township the hamlet of Greave and Thong Bridge, 1004 inhabitants & 850 acres of land belonging to a number of freeholders but lying in the manorial liberty of Wakefield. The church is one of the handsomest of the smaller classes of churches erected by the parliamentary commissioners. It was finished in 1830 and cost £2869 of which £2500 was advanced by government and the rest raised by subscription. It has 700 sittings of which 318 are free. The curacy, valued at £57, has been augmented with about £600 of Q.A.B. and is now enjoyed by the Rev. George Docker Grundy M.A. The poor have the interest of £20, left by Henry Shaw in 1750.”
1848 Slater’s Directory.
The information for Netherthong is included under the entry for Holmefirth ( note the spelling ) .
List of professions : Shaw George , blacksmith : Jagger John, boot & shoe maker : Penny George, boot & shoe maker : Mallinson John , butcher ; Wainwright Joseph, butcher :Hobson Uriah, cloth dresser : Eastwood Joseph & Brothers , Dyers, Fulling Millers, Scribblers & Slubbers , Deanhouse Mill , : Eastwood Jonas, joiner & cabinet maker : Rogers Joseph, joiner & cabinet maker : Shore Jonathan, joiner & cabinet maker : Preston John, painters and paper hangers : Hobson David , Dutton and Mary , shopkeepers and dealers in groceries and sundries : Platt Geo., Dean House, shopkeeper. : Roberts Susannah, shopkeeper : Woodhead George & Grace, shopkeepers : Samuel Lee , size boilers : Gill Benjamin & George, stone masons: Platt John , tailor ; Bates John, Queen’s Arms : Sykes Moses, Rose & Crown : Hobson Uriah , Clothier’s Arms
The following were woolen manufacturers.
Crooks Thomas : Dyson Thomas; Mallinson Joseph : Noble Jonathan : Heap John ( New Hagg ) : Eastwood Joseph ( Dean House Mill ) : Heap Jonathan, Lee Charles & David (all Oldfield ).
Also in the Directory, under Huddersfield, is the following reference to omnibuses :
“ To Holmfirth – an omnibus from the Boot and Shoe every morning ( except Sunday ) at 7, 9.30, 12.30 & 6pm.
To Holmfirth- an omnibus from the Packhorse every day at 12.20.
You can just imagine people from Netherthong walking down the hill to catch the omnibus on its return to Huddersfield
1853 Whytes Directory
Allen Jonas, church clerk : Boothroyd John, gardener : Dickinson Mr.Frank ; Duckworth Jonas , station master (TB) ; Eastwood Jonas, joiner etc ; Floyds Charles S, solicitor Sands House : James Rev, Thomas ; ; Mallinson John, butcher : Preston John, painter etc : Rogers Joseph , joiner etc ; Shore George, blacksmith ; Wainwright Joseph, butcher ; Wood Richard, gardener ; Woodhead Benjamin, wood valuer ; Woodhead John, schoolmaster ; Clothier’s Arms , Uriah Hobson : Rose & Crown , Moses Sykes : Queen’s Arms , John Bates ; Rose & Crown (TB), Hiram Earnshaw : Royal Oak (TB), ;;Ellen Bray
Beerhouses. Crook Thomas : Littlewood John : Wood Charles.
Boot & Shoe makers : Jagger Benjamin : Wimpenny Geo. : Woodhead Noah
Farmers: Boothroyd John : Bottomley John : Fox John : Haigh John : Hirst Joseph ( Greave ) : Hobson Jonas : Jagger Jonas : Lee David : Mallinson Joseph : Marsden Jonas : Wilson Benjamin : Wilson Joseph : Wilson Richard : Woodhead Jonas : Woodhead Sarah.
Masons : Gill, Benjamin,Joseph, George and William.
Shopkeepers : Dyson John : Hobson Chas: Hobson Dutton : Hobson, Mary : Roberts Susannah : Woodhead Geo. : Woodhead Grace & Ann.
Woolen Manufacturers. Bottomley John (TB). : Brook James (TB) : Brook Wm : Dearnley Thomas : Dickens Joseph : Dyson Thomas (TB) :Hallas Roberts (TB) : Hirst Joseph ( Greave ) : jagger James : Mellor Joseph & Sons ( TB ) : Littlewood Abrm : Wilson Richard.
1857 Post Office Directory . Note that Thongs Bridge is two words and written as TB.
“ Netherthong is a township and pleasant village, situated on an eminence on the western bank of the river Holme, in the parish of Almondbury, 5 ½ miles south from Huddersfield, 5 ½ south west from Almondbury, 1 north from Holmfirth, 190 from London,16 from Halifax, 25 from Todmorden, 34 from Rochdale, 26 ½ from Sheffield, 41 from Manchester, 72 ½ from Liverpool, 92 from Hull, 50 from Retford, 70 from Lincoln, in the upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, Huddersfield union, Ripon bishopric and York archbishopric. The ecclesiastical district comprises part of the township of Honley, including the hamlets of Brockholes, Deanhouse, Holmroyd Bank, Hagg Leys, Oldfield, Smithyplace and Wood Nook. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1830, and is a neat stone structure in the early English style, with turret, and has a nave, side and end galleries. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £150 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Almondbury, and held by the Rev. Thomas James B.D. The population of the district amounts to 2,214 but the census in 1851 for the township was 1,207 and the acreage is 850. The charities are £1 per annum. The woolen manufacture is carried on here. Here are stone quarries.
Greave and Thongs Bridge are hamlets of this township. At Thongs Bridge is a station on the Huddersfield and Holmfirth branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, of which the distance is as above. Here are woolen manufacturers.
Dickinson Mr, Frank : Floyd Cookson Stephenson , esq. Sands House : James Rev. Thomas B.D. ( incumbent ) : Kid Martin, esq. Well house : Wilson Mr. Benjamin ,sen.
Commercial. Boothroyd John, gardener, Wolfstones : Bottomley John , farmer, Wolfstones : Broadhead Thomas, shopkeeper, Thongs Bridge : Cousen John, farmer, Moorgate : Crompton John, farmer, Greave : Duckworth John, station master, Thongs Bridge : Dyson Benjamin, wool sorter : Dyson John, shopkeeper : Dyson Thomas, woolen manufacturer : Earnshaw Hiram , Royal Oak, Thongs bridge : Eastwood Benjamin & James, mill proprietors, Dean house : Eastwood Jonas, joiner : Fox John, farmer , Moor lane : Gill Benj. stonemason & quarry owner : Gill Joseph, stonemason : Gill Sarah ( miss ) , Queen’s Arms :Gill Wm. stonemason & quarry owner : Haigh John, farmer, Brown hill : Hinchliff Elizabet ( Mrs ), farmer : Greave Hirst James, farmer, Greave : Hirst Richard, oil merchant, Greave :Hobson Charles, shopkeeper :Hobson Dutton, shopkeeper : Hobson Jonas, farmer : Hobson Uriah, Clothier’s Arms : Jagger James, waste dealer & farmer : Lee David, farmer, Spring cottage: Littlewood Benj. postmaster , Thongs bridge : Mallinson John, butcher & carrier : Mallinson Joseph, farmer : Mallinson Joseph jnr. surveyor & assistant overseer : Marsden Jonas, farmer, Carr : Mellor Godfrey & Sons ( late Joseph & Sons ) , woolen manufacturers, Thongs bridge : Mellor Thomas, woolen manufacturer, Thongs bridge : Moorehouse John F. land agent, Thongs bridge : Platt Joseph , tailor. Preston John & Son, painters
Robinson George & Co, mungo manufacturers, Thongs bridge. Robinson George & James, scribbling & fulling millers, Thongs bridge
Rogers, Joseph, joiner & carpenter
Roebuck Grace ( Mrs ) , shopkeeper, Thongs bridge . Shore George, blacksmith.
Taylor John, farmer, Greave. Taylor Ann ( Mrs ), farmer, Greave.
Wilson Benjamin jun. farmer. Wilson Joseph, farmer. Wilson Richard, farmer.
Wimpenny George, boot & shoe maker. Wood Richard, gardener. Woodhead Benjamin, wood valuer. Woodhead Benjamin , tailor
Woodhead George, shopkeeper . Woodhead John, master of Township school
Woodhead Grace & Ann ( Misses ) , shopkeepers. Woodhead Jonas, farmer
Woodhead Joshua, farmer. Woodhead Mary ( Mrs ), mistress of Township school
Woodhead Noah, boot & shoe maker
Woodhouse Thomas, Rose & Crown
Letters received through Huddersfield at ½ past 8am ; dispatched at ½ past 4pm.
Carrier – John Mallinson, to Huddersfield, Tuesdays.
In this directory Deanhouse was included in the entry for Honley.
Crooks Thomas, beer retailer
Senior Benjamin, dyer
Woodhead Charles, shopkeeper.
1870. White’s Clothing District Directory. 12th. Edition. 986pp + 160 pp of advertising.
Brackenberg Henry, toll collector , Thong’s bridge
Eastwood Jonas, joiner
Floyd Mrs. Mary, Sands House
Gosling David, station master , Thong’s bridge
Hugh Joseph, cloth dealer
Hirst Roland, schoolmaster
Jagger James, waste dealer
James Rev. Thomas B.D. vicar
Kenion John, parish clerk
Kidd Martin ( solicitor ), Well house
Lodge Walter, merchant
Mallinson John, butcher
Moorhouse John Earnshaw, land agent
Sandford Mrs. Martha , day school
Shores Mrs. Hannah, blacksmith
Taylor John T. ( woolen mnfr ) , Oaklands
Wimpenny George, shoemaker
Wood Richard, gardener
Woodhead Abraham, book keeper
Woodhead Benjamin, wood value
Ashworth Joseph B. Clothier’s Arms
Woodhouse, Thomas – Queen’s Arms
Woodhead Noah, Rose & Crown
Fenton Walker, Royal Oak , Thong’s bridge
John Boothroyd : John Bottomley : Joseph Bradbury : John Dyson : Benjamin Eastwood : John Fox : Jonathan Hinchliffe : Abel Hobson : Dutton Hobson : Jonas Hobson ; Henry Hudson : James Jagger : David Lee : Joseph Mallinson : Job Sykes : Mrs. Ann Taylor : John Taylor : Benjamin Wilson : Joseph Wilson : Richard Wilson : Joshua Woodhead.
Miss Broadhead : John Dyson : Dutton Hobson : Mrs. E. Hobson : Chas. Woodhead : Geo. Woodhead.
Alfred Platt : Joseph Platt : Benjamin Woodhead.
Woolen Manufacturers :
Henry Dearnley : Thomas Dyson : John Hinchliffe : Joshua Hoyle : Mellor & Sons : John Woodhead.
Carrier: J.Mallinson to Huddersfield on Tuesdays.
The previous edition of Whites ( 1866 ) had very little information but did give the owners of the 3 public houses which differ for those of 1870 above,
Elizabeth Littlewood , Clothier’s Arms
James Woodhead, Queen’s Arms
Alfred Gill, Rose & Crown.
Further information on the Township of Netherthong comes from notes issued by H.J.Moorhouse in 1894.
“Bounded on the East by river Holme, on the south by the township of Upperthong, on the west by Meltham and the north by Honley. The last two along with Netherthong being in the Honour of Pontefract but are all in the ancient parish of Almondbury. Netherthong consists of a narrow strip of land ( or Thong ) and contains about 850 acres . It was not a distinct township at the period of the Doomsday Survey as it does not appear in the record. It formed a part of Meltham – the division took place at a very early period ( possibly reign of Edward 2 ) – the cause of the severance is uncertain. It possibly arose in consequence of some influential territorial owner.
In the reign of King John, Bisset ( North Elmsal near Doncaster ) had estates at Netherthong. The Bissets could have had interests with the Crown sufficient to obtain severance of Netherthong from its ancient connection with Meltham especially as severance could easily be defined.
This is a list of some inhabitants of Netherthong township in the reign of QE ( taken from Almondbury Registers ).
Dorothy, daughter of Jacobi Taylor, baptized 25 July 1568
George, son of Thomas Lindley, baptized 2 Aug 1573
William Booth, sepultus erat 29 Dec 1560
Alice Brook, sepultus erat 25 Oct 1566
Margaret Hincliffe, sepultus erat 31 Dec1590 ( 80 years ).
Kellys issued their Directories on a regular basis with the earliest copy in the library being for 1881. There was little information in the 1889 issue but I have included what is relevant.
Principal landowners : C.Stephenson esq. : Joseph Hirst esq. : Martin Kidd esq. : John Dyson esq. J.P. of Green Bank Thurgoland : Thomas Turner esq. J.P. of Somerfield, Holmfirth.
The township area is 795 acres with a rateable value of £4133. The parish is 1,200 acres. The population in 1881 was township 936 and parish 1408.
The school is mixed – average attendance 110, James Jackson teacher.
Infants school – average attendance 60 , Miss Mary Horncastle.
In this Directory, Deanhouse is listed under Honley.
Bottomley John, farmer
Buckley Joe, size maker
Dyson Thomas & Sons, Deanhouse Mill
Eastwood Ben, brush manuf.
Shore Elizabeth Mrs, farmer
Stansfield Edward, farmer and beer retailer
Sykes Benjamin, designer
Woodhead Chas, shopkeeper and newsagent.
The Huddersfield Union Workhouse at Deanhouse was also listed under Honley.
Brook Thorp I.R.C.P. Edin. . medical officer
John Heastie , master
Mrs. Annie Heastie, matron
Abraham Mellor, relieving officer
I have listed the Kelly’s 1901 edition in full . Note that they make Thongsbridge one word.
“Netherthong is a township, on an eminence, on the western bank of the river Holme, and with part of the township of Honley, including the hamlets of Deanhouse,Holmroyd Nook, Hagg and a portion of Thongsbridge, was formed into a parish , March 7 1843 : it is 1 mile north from the Holmfirth terminal station of the branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 5 south from Huddersfield, 5 south-west from Almondbury, and 190 from London, in the Holmfirth division of the Riding, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, Upper Agbrigg petty sessional division, Holmfirth county court district, Huddersfield union, and in the rural deanery and archdeanery of Huddersfield and diocese of Wakefield. The Township is governed by an Urban District Council, constituted under the provisions of the “ Local Government Act, 1894 ( 56 & 57 Vict.c.73 ), in place of the former Local Board, formed in 1862. The place is lighted by gas by a limited company. The church of All Saints, erected in 1830, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a turret containing a clock and one bell : it was restored and reseated in 1877, when the galleries were removed, a stained east window inserted, and the church lighted with gas, at a cost of £2,400: at the same time a carved octangular stone font was presented by Cookson Stephenson esq. J.P. and an organ of three manuals introduced at a cost of £400, defrayed by subscription :a reredos, beautifully carved in oak and embellished with panels, having representations of the four Evangelists, was erected in1880: the chancel is separated from the nave by an elegant carved wood screen: there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1830. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, including 13 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Almondbury, and held since 1870 by the Rev.John Prowde M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The tithe, amounting to £24, is the property of the vicar of Almondbury. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels here. The woolen manufacture is carried on here, and there are stone quarries. The charities are of about £1 yearly. Oaklands is the residence of John Thorpe Taylor esq. JP, and Somerfield, of Thomas Turner esq. JP.,The principal landowners are Mrs. Stephenson, Henry Arthur Hirst esq. of Wilshaw, Frank Greenwood esq. Capt.John Morehouse, Dyson, and Thos. Turner esq. JP of Somerfield. The soil is loamy; subsoil, grit. The chief crops are wheat,oats and barley. The area of the township is 792 acres; rateable value £3,788; the population of the township and Urban district in 1891 was 965, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,495.
At Thongsbridge, half a mile from the church, is a station on the Huddersfield and Holmfirth branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Here are woolen mills.
Oldfield is a hamlet three-quarters of a mile from the church. Sexton , Benjamin Gill.
Post Office, Netherthong. – Joseph Woodhead, sub postmaster. Letters arrive from Huddersfield at 7.40 a.m. & 6.10 p.m.; dispatches at ? a.m. & 6.15p.m. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. Thongsbridge is the nearest money order office & Holmfirth the nearest telegraph office.
Urban District Council. Meets in the village every fourth Tuesday at 6p.m.
Members : Chairman – John Peel Floyd : Vice – Chairman , John Roberts Hinchliffe.
Retire in April, 1902 : Arthur Allsop, John Batley, John Robert Hinchliffe.
Retire in April, 1903 : James Dyson, Walter Middleton, Alfred Herman Sykes.
Retire in April, 1904 : Ben Eastwood, William Eastwood, John Peel Floyd.
Officers : Clerk , Harry Lomax – Holmfirth
Treasurer, E.W.Last , West Riding Union Bank Huddesfield
Medical Officer of Health , Robert Hale Trotter, Holmfirth
Surveyor , James Hinchliffe, Netherthong
Sanitary Inspector, Fred Wadsworth, Holmfirth
Collector, Joseph Wilson, Netherthong
Schools. National ( mixed ), erected in 1861 & enlarged in 1888. For 270 children; average attendance , 140. James T. Jackson, master.
Infants’, erected in 1861 and enlarged in 1888, for 83? Children ; average attendance , 43. Miss Minnie Hall infants’ mistress.
Railway Station, Thongsbridge , Arthur Sutcliffe, station master
Dyson Capt.Jn. Morehouse, Elmwood. Floyd John Peel J.P. at Roseleigh.Greenwood Frank at Well house. Mellor Harry, Homeleigh. Mellor Miss, Spring lodge
Prowde Rev. John M.A. ( vicar ) , Vicarage. Stephenson Mrs. at Sands.
Taylor John Thorp J.P. Oaklands. Turner Thomas J.P. Somerfield
Watkinson James B. Sands
Batley John, joiner & farmer. Beaumont John, farmer, Fearnought.Bentley John Henry, farmer, Carr. Booth Jonathan, hair dresser. Bretton & Charlesworth, painters.
Broadbent Wm. Clothiers’Arms P.H.. Charlesworth Fred, Queen’s Arms P.H.
Dyson, Thomas & Sons, fancy woolen manfrs. Deanhouse & Bridge ??
Dyson, Benjamin, farmer, Moorgate. Dyson James, farmer.
Eastwood Benjamin, brush manufacturer
Gill Benjamin, stone mason & sexton. Gill Henry, stone mason
Hardy Thos. Markt. gardnr. Wolfstones.
Hinchliffe James, surveyor to Urban District Council
Hinchliffe John Robert, farmer & landowner, Wells Green farm
Hobson Ben, farmer, Wolfstones
Hobson Charles, oil dealer. Hobson Elihu, farmer & blacksmith. Mallinson Jonas, butcher
Middleton Walter, farmer, Moor lane. Mitchell Ellen ( miss ) , shopkeeper
Netherthong Gas Co. Ltd ( James Tunstall Jackson, sec )
Netherthong Industrial Co-operative Soc. Lim.( Geo. Allen Senior,mgr)
Preston Whitfield , greengrocer. Redfern Michael, farmer, Wolfstones
Sanderson Arthur, farmer , Hagg. Seddon Albert, farmer & butcher, Hagg
William Joseph, farmer & collector to Urban District Council
Wimpenny Albert, boot & shoe maker
Woodhead Fred, tailor. Woodhead Joseph, grcr. Post office.
Working Men’s Club ( Joseph Taylor sec)
Sykes Alfred, Woodville. Priestley Francis Vickerman, Thongsbridge house
Watkinson James Brook, Sands
Woodhead Joseph Edward, Newlands
Hirstle Reuben,farmer, Har Royd
Silverwood Joseph, insurance agent, Albany cottage
Terry Alfred, farmer, Newlands farm
Vickerman Benjamin & Sons Lim. Woolen manufacturers
Walker Esther Maria ( Mrs ), Royal Oak P.H.
Whiteley George, grocer, Post office
Wimpenny George A, butcher.
I have gone through the later editions of the Kelly’s Directories and have listed below any relevant changes to the issue above.
Kellys 1904 ( 11th. edition )
Mallinson Hugh , hairdresser
Co-op Society , Fred Moss , manager
Roebuck Hirst , farmer , Moor lane
Roebuck Rachel ( Mrs ) , Queens Arms P.H.
Working Men’s Club ( Jame Buckley sec. )
Kellys 1912 .
Wilson Harold , sub post master
Public Elementary School ( mixed & infants ) , Seth D. Butterworth
Roebuck Herbert , tailor
Russell Arthur, carter
Russell Richard, Queens Arm’s P.H.
Wild Tom, shopkeeper
Working Men’s Club ( Arthur Wimpenny sec. )
For the first time reference is made to a Co-op at Thongsbridge but it is listed as Netherthong Industrial Co-op Thongsbridge ( Ben Ramsden , manager ).
Kellys 1917 ( 14th. Edition )
Population for 1911 was 867 and for the ecclesiastical parish 1458.
Netherthong Co-op , Ernest Buckley, manager
Netherthong Co-op Thongsbridge, Walter Charlesworth, manager
Kellys 1922– 1503 pages, price 36/-. This issue was their first one to contain advertising. Bamforth John, farmer, Hagg. Garlick Ernest, farm bailiff to Netherthong Co-op, Harroyd farm. Lockwood Ben , builder. Lockwood Lilian (Mrs ), fried fish dealer. Moorhouse John, Clothiers Arms P.H. Netherthong Assoc. Football Club , Harold Wimpenny. Working Mens Club ( Herbert Roberts sec ). Netherthong Co-op Thongsbridge, Harold Wimpenny, manager .
Kellys 1927 ( 16th. edition )
Challengers & Hulme, shopkeepers
Earnshaw Samuel, farm bailiff to Netherthong Co-op, Deanhouse farm
Tinker Nellie ( Mrs ). Fried fish dlr.
Wood Ellen ( Mrs ) , Queens Arms P.H.
Kellys 1936. This is the last issue that is listed in the library archives.
Sykes Arnold, newsagent
Sykes Arthur , beer retlr, Deanhouse
Whitehead Geo., fried fish dlr
Wilson Harold, grocer & Post office